The key to living longer and feeling good is regular exercise and a balanced diet. Also included in the list is taking care of your mental health.
Whatever you’re going through in your life, find the time to make your mental health a priority. Keep your spirits up with the following ideas:
- Keep in touch with friends and family: Maintaining relationships is good for your mental health. If your family and friends live far away, join a local church or community organization.
- Keep yourself busy and mentally stimulated: Learn a new skill such as a new language. Start a gratitude journal. Volunteer or take a class.
- Exercise regularly: Ride a bike, take a walk, go swimming, or try out some yoga. Exercising is important for your physical and mental wellbeing.
- Think about getting a pet: Animals make wonderful companions and also give you the opportunity for more exercise and social contact.
- Learn how to adjust to major life changes: There are going to be some obvious negative events such as the death of a friend or spouse. There are also going to be more positive events such as retiring or moving. All these events can take some adjusting to. It’s important to give yourself time to adjust.
- Be optimistic and laugh more: Laughter and a positive attitude can boost your mood.
- Make sure you get enough sleep: If you’re not getting enough sleep it can contribute to depression. The average number of hours is 8. You must find the right number of hours for yourself because our needs are all different.
Make sure you put good mental health at the top of your to-do list every day.