When you have type 2 diabetes, what you drink is equally as important as what you drink. A single drink can have a significant effect on your blood sugar levels. Here are the dos and don’ts you should follow to manage your diabetes symptoms.
- Go for sugar-free Horlicks- Drinking Horlicks is a great way to increase your consumption of nutrients and boost immunity. There is a Horlicks Lite option, too, with no added sugar and zero cholesterol. The price of sugar-free Horlicks price is Rs. 295 for a 450-gram jar, making it a budget-friendly option.
- Drink water – Plain water has a neutral effect on blood sugar levels. It helps you stay hydrated, thus helping you regulate your blood sugar levels.
- Don’t drink sugary drinks like sodas and teas- Sugary drinks like colas and teas are absorbed into the bloodstream very quickly, leading to a spike in your blood sugar levels. Instead, opt for sugar-free drinks like water.
- Drink tomato juice instead of sugary fruit juice – If you are bored of drinking water, you can switch to tomato juice or other vegetable juices. It has good overall benefits.
- Don’t drink energy drinks- Energy drinks are laced with sugar and caffeine. They increase heart rate and blood pressure and disturb sleep. Thus it is best to avoid them as much as you can.
- Avoid drinking alcohol – Alcohol can cause fluctuations in blood sugar; hence it is advised to drink it in moderation.
- Drink coconut water- Coconut water is 94% water, and it has very low calories. Diabetic people can drink it if their blood sugar levels are normal.
Diabetes is a lifelong condition, and dealing with it can be stressful for most people. With only some minor tweaks in your diet and lifestyle, you will be able to control it successfully.