Highlights for dexamethasone
Dexamethasone oral tablet is to be had as both a general and brand-call drug. Brand name: DexPak.
Dexamethasone comes as an oral pill, oral solution, eye drops, and eardrops. It’s additionally to be had as an injectable solution or an intraocular solution given after surgery. These two bureaucracy are most effective given by using a healthcare company.
Dexamethasone oral pill is used to deal with many situations. These encompass infection, allergic reactions, and flare-ups of ulcerative colitis. They additionally encompass adrenal insufficiency.
- Heart Damage Warning: If you’ve currently had a heart attack, you may be at multiplied danger for in addition to coronary heart harm from this drug. Before starting this drug, be sure your medical doctor is aware of you’ve had a coronary heart attack.
- Infection Warning: Dexamethasone can cowl up or worsen positive infections. In addition, infections can develop during treatment. Don’t use this drug when you have fungal infections or records of parasite infections or tuberculosis. Tell your doctor about any past ailments or infections.
- Eye Problems Warning: Using dexamethasone for long periods can cause eye troubles together with cataracts or glaucoma. The drug may additionally reason harm to the optic nerves, or fungal or viral eye infections.
- Measles or Chickenpox Warning: Tell your health practitioner if you haven’t had chickenpox or measles, or if you haven’t had the vaccines to prevent them. You ought to have more serious versions of those ailments if you have them while taking dexamethasone.
What is dexamethasone?
Dexamethasone is a prescription remedy. It’s to be had as an oral pill, oral solution, eye drops, and eardrops. It’s additionally to be had as an injectable solution or an intraocular solution given after surgery. These last bureaucracy are most effective given by way of a healthcare company.
The dexamethasone tablet is available as the brand-name drug DexPak. It’s additionally available as a general drug. Generic capsules normally price less than the brand-call version. In a few cases, they may not be available in all strengths or bureaucracy because the brand-call drug.
Why it is used
The dexamethasone oral pill is used to deal with conditions that motive inflammation, situations associated with immune device activity, and hormone deficiency. These situations include:
- allergic reactions
- rheumatoid arthritis and other rheumatic diseases, together with ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic
- arthritis, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and acute gouty arthritis
- skin diseases, such as pemphigus, extreme erythema multiforme (Stevens-Johnson syndrome),
- exfoliative dermatitis, bullous dermatitis herpetiformis, intense seborrheic dermatitis, severe
- psoriasis, or mycosis fungoides
- flare-ups of intestinal diseases, including ulcerative colitis
- flare-ups of more than one sclerosis or myasthenia gravis
- pre-treatment for chemotherapy to lessen inflammation and aspect outcomes from cancer
- adrenal insufficiency (a condition in which the adrenal glands don’t produce sufficient hormones)
How it works
- Dexamethasone belongs to a class of medicine called steroids. A class of medication is a group of medications that work in a similar way. These tablets are regularly used to treat similar conditions.
- For conditions with inflammation: With sure conditions, inflammation can purpose the immune device to be overactive. This can damage the frame’s tissues. Steroids which includes dexamethasone assist block the immune device’s reaction to inflammation, which facilitates prevent this harm.
- For adrenal insufficiency: The adrenal gland facilitates control certain body features. These features include handling blood glucose, fighting infection, and controlling stress. In people with adrenal insufficiency, the adrenal gland releases decrease amounts of certain hormones. Dexamethasone allows replace these hormones.
- Dexamethasone side effects
- Dexamethasone oral pill doesn’t cause drowsiness, but it is able to cause different side outcomes.
The more not unusual facet effects that can occur with dexamethasone oral tablets consist of:
- belly disillusioned
- swelling (edema)
- mood modifications, inclusive of depression, temper swings, or personality changes
- hassle falling asleep
- low potassium levels (causing signs and symptoms along with tiredness)
- excessive blood glucose
- high blood pressure
If those effects are mild, they will leave within a few days or more than one week. If they’re more excessive or don’t go away, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side outcomes
Call your health practitioner right away when you have serious side outcomes. Call 911 if your signs sense life-threatening or in case you assume you’re having a scientific emergency. Serious side outcomes and their symptoms can include the following:
- Unusual tiredness
- Unusual dizziness
Unusual digestive dissatisfied. Symptoms can encompass:
- belly pain
- nausea or vomiting
- Blood in your stool, or black stools
- Blood in your urine
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
- Unusual swelling for the duration of your body, or bloating to your abdomen (belly area)
Infection. Symptoms can consist of:
- muscle aches
- joint pain
Changes in temper or thoughts, or mood disorders inclusive of depression. Symptoms can consist of:
- severe mood swings
- euphoria (a sense of excessive happiness)
- hassle sleeping
- personality modifications
Severe hypersensitive reaction. Symptoms can include:
Adrenal insufficiency. Symptoms can encompass:
- darkened skin color
- dizziness while standing
- More frequent infections (can arise with long-time period use)
Stomach ulcers. Symptoms can encompass:
- pain inside the abdomen (belly area)
Congestive coronary heart failure. Symptoms can encompass:
- shortness of breath
- swollen legs
- speedy heartbeat
- Osteoporosis (thinning of the bones)
Disclaimer: Our purpose is to offer you the most applicable and current information. However, because capsules affect all and sundry otherwise, we can not guarantee that this fact includes all feasible side effects. This statistic isn’t an alternative choice for clinical advice. Always discuss possible side results with a healthcare issuer who is aware of your scientific history.