What is Copastin?
Copastin (Cloperastine hydrochloride) is a drug that is used to treat cough. It is also known as a cough suppressant and works on our central nervous system. You can easily get this medication from any pharmacy or from your local drug stores. This drug is in tablet form and is only available for oral use. It should be taken as prescribed by your doctor.
1 or 2 tablets in a day has been recommended. However, the required dosage will actually depend on your doctor’s prescription. Generally, this will be according to your illness. If it is more severe, your doctor will consider giving you a higher dose of Copastin. As for children, there is still no indication to use this drug. Maybe it is not suitable or not safe for them. For more information, please ask your doctor first before deciding to use it on someone’s else.
Uses and precautions
Before taking Copastin, you need to make sure that you do not have any condition that might be contraindicated to this drug. Some conditions can cause a serious problem if you take Copastin. You need to consult your doctor first if you have any of the following:
- Any allergy to Copastin or its ingredients. Please read the drug’s level carefully to look for any ingredient that might not be suitable for your body. You might experience some allergic reactions such as hives, itchiness or stomach pain. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms after taking this drug, it is recommended to quickly go to a nearby health care for an appropriate intervention.
- This drug is still not recommended to be used by baby children. Please keep it away from your children at all cost as it might harm them. Please refer to your doctor for any confirmation regarding the uses of Copastin on children.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is recommended to avoid this drug. However, there is still no evidence whether this drug can be used or not during pregnancy or breastfeeding. It is not clear whether Copastin has any adverse effect on the infant or the mother. Please talk to your doctor so that they can outweigh any risks and benefits that might occur.
- Copastin might also interact with other drugs. It can change the way the other drug works or increase the risk of getting a serious side effect. In order to avoid this, you must list every medication that you took during your consultation. These include any supplement, prescribed or non-prescribed drugs. For your safety, please do not start, stop or change the dose without your doctor’s order.
- Drinking alcohol together with this drug might give an unwanted effect. This is because alcohol might change how Copastin works and this might give rise to any serious side effect as well. Make sure you avoid any alcohol for some time before and after taking this drug.
- Some diseases might also interact with Copastin. It will become worse by taking Copastin, and this surely is not good for your health. However, some diseases such as liver and kidney disease are said to be safe when taking a 10 mg Copastin tablet. So, please visit your doctor for further recommendation.
Every drug will usually have their own side effects. Some side effects that are associated with Copastin are:
- Bloated stomach
- Dry mouth or broken lips
- Loss of appetite
Not everyone experiences the same side effects. Some people do not experience any side effect at all. However, if you think that you are having a serious adverse effect after taking Copastin, make sure to visit your doctor and get appropriate treatment immediately.